The Courtyard of the Lions is the main courtyard of the Nasrid dynasty Palace of the Lions, in the heart of the Alhambra, the Moorish citadel formed by a complex of palaces, gardens and forts in Granada, Spain. It was commissioned by the Nasrid sultan Muhammed V of the Emirate of Granada in Al-Andalus. Its construction started in the second period of his reign, between 1362 and 1391 AD. The Courtyard of the Lions is an oblong courtyard, 35 m in length by 20 m in width, surrounded by a low gallery supported on 124 white marble columns. A pavilion projects into the courtyard at each extremity, with filigree walls and light domed roof, elaborately ornamented. The square is paved with coloured tiles, and the colonnade with white marble; while the walls are covered 1.5 m up from the ground with blue and yellow tiles, with a border above and below enamelled blue and gold. The columns supporting the roof and gallery are irregularly placed, with a view to artistic effect; and the general form of the piers, arches and pillars is most graceful.
El Patio adopta un esquema de crucero, con fuente central, del que se encuentran precedentes y consecuentes tanto en la España musulmana como en el resto del mundo islámico. La perfección proporcional y visual que añade al patio la arquería corrida en todo su perímetro, lo ha convertido en uno de los ejemplos arquitectónicos más universales y admirados.
See more photographs of Granada