Palacio Carlos V Palace

Spanish German

Palacio Carlos V Palace

For more information about Carlos V click here

The Palace of Charles V.
Author: Albert F. Calvert

The forlorn, roofless palace in the classical style, which seems so out of place amid these Oriental buildings, was begun by order of the Emperor Charles V. in 1538. It was never completed. The Flemish Cæsar’s intention seems to have been to establish a permanent residence here, whence he could contemplate the beauties of the Moorish palace. The building is a quadrangle of four facades, each seventeen metres high. The lower storey is of the Tuscan order, the upper, Ionic. Some of the marble portals are very fine. In the decoration appear allusions to the campaigns, on sea and land, directed by the Emperor, his motto, Plus oultre, and the emblem of the Golden Fleece.

The interior of the palace is occupied by an imposing circular court, with a gallery supported by thirty-two columns. The staircase is loftily designed, and altogether the palace, if it had been completed and built almost anywhere else, would have been a dignified memorial of Charles’s reign.




See more photographs of Granada

This photograph is part of the following albums:
Carlos V


Search / Busqueda


This page has no cookies and there is no tracking or invasion of your privacy of any kind.
2,400 : views of this image - 1,222,089 : views of all images since 1st January 2020.