Patio de los Leones (3) - Courtyard of the Lions (3)
The Courtyard of the Lions is the main courtyard of the Nasrid dynasty Palace of the Lions, in the heart of the Alhambra, the Moorish citadel formed by a complex of palaces, gardens and forts in Granada, Spain. It was commissioned by the Nasrid sultan Muhammed V of the Emirate of Granada in Al-Andalus. Its construction started in the second period of his reign, between 1362 and 1391 AD. The Courtyard of the Lions is an oblong courtyard, 35 m in length by 20 m in width, surrounded by a low gallery supported on 124 white marble columns. A pavilion projects into the courtyard at each extremity, with filigree walls and light domed roof, elaborately ornamented. The square is paved with coloured tiles, and the colonnade with white marble; while the walls are covered 1.5 m up from the ground with blue and yellow tiles, with a border above and below enamelled blue and gold. The columns supporting the roof and gallery are irregularly placed, with a view to artistic effect; and the general form of the piers, arches and pillars is most graceful.
El Patio adopta un esquema de crucero, con fuente central, del que se encuentran precedentes y consecuentes tanto en la España musulmana como en el resto del mundo islámico. La perfección proporcional y visual que añade al patio la arquería corrida en todo su perímetro, lo ha convertido en uno de los ejemplos arquitectónicos más universales y admirados.